top of page

St. Andrews Douglas County WA

St. Andrews was a community located in Douglas County WA settled in the late 1890's. It was around 1890 when Captain James Saint Andrew and his wife Lucy settled in the area and started a post office to serve the area out of their farm house. Andrews who was a Civil War veteran became Douglas Counties 2nd prosecuting attorney.

With the coming of the Great Northern Railroad in 1909 the St. Andrews area flourished. The community had established a hotel, general store, livery stable, black smith shop, and meat market.


The St. Andrews area survived for a number of years, but like many communities in the area the loss of income due to major roads bypassing the town ultimately lead to its demise.


​The Darby Hotel in St. Andrews was lost in fire in 2020.


226 views

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


FB_IMG_1692235808740.jpg

The Adventure Begins Now. 

Most outdoor enthusiasts go hiking, fishing or mountain climbing, Ghost Towns of Washington has an enthusiasm all our own.  Ghost Towns of Washington seeks out towns, mining sites, and historic sites that once existed or will cease to exist in the near future.  Photographing and documenting these remnants of our past.

 

In 2010 we decided to embark on a series of weekend self guided adventures to ghost towns and historic mining sties in Washington.  We set out seeking the thrill of adventure and undiscovered treasure.  What we discovered was much more rewarding.

bottom of page