top of page

Altoona Wahkiakum County WA

Altoona located in Wahkiakum County Washington on the north shore of the Columbia river. The site was originally used by the Hudson's Bay Company as a fish receiving station in the 1830's.

In 1903, Hans Peterson logged 830 acres at the station, and named the new community "Altoona" (after his home town of "Altona", Germany, a major fish-processing city on the Elbe River) and began the Altoona Mercantile and Fish Company Cannery. By 1910 the Altoona Cannery ranked fourth among the Columbia River canneries.

Altoona flourished from the 1890's until the 1940's when canning became unprofitable and the canneries closed.


​Ruins of the Klevenhusen Cold Storage plants compressor which was established in 1905, and was lost to fire in 1932 are among the remaining remnants of Altoona's past.

170 views

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


FB_IMG_1692235808740.jpg

The Adventure Begins Now. 

Most outdoor enthusiasts go hiking, fishing or mountain climbing, Ghost Towns of Washington has an enthusiasm all our own.  Ghost Towns of Washington seeks out towns, mining sites, and historic sites that once existed or will cease to exist in the near future.  Photographing and documenting these remnants of our past.

 

In 2010 we decided to embark on a series of weekend self guided adventures to ghost towns and historic mining sties in Washington.  We set out seeking the thrill of adventure and undiscovered treasure.  What we discovered was much more rewarding.

bottom of page