Ronald No. 3 Coal Mine
Site Visited 2012
No. 3 mine photographed from Ronald Bakery 1938
The Ronald No. 3 mine located in the Roslyn coal fields of Kittitas County WA. Ronald was established in 1888 two miles west of Roslyn by the Northern Pacific Coal Company (renamed Northwestern Improvement Company in 1899) a subsidiary of the Northern Pacific Railroad. Miners who worked Northern Pacific Coals Mine No. 3 lived in the town which was named for Alexander Ronald the superintendent of mining.
Coal mine #3 was the site where many of the first African-American miners worked after arriving in the area in 1888.
The Northern Pacific Railroad had replaced most of their steam-powered engines with diesel-powered locomotives in the early 1950’s. This eventually led to the decline of coal mining in the region. The Ronald and Rosyln mines were closed in the 1960's and the Northwestern Improvement Company sold its holdings.