Appelo Store 

Appelo Store - Demolished 2016

Deep River turn of the century.

Deep River Cemetery

Deep River Holy Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was built in 1898 near the Deep River Cemetery.

Appelo Store - Demolished 2016

Deep River 1911

Site Visited 2015, 2021

​Deep River was first settled in 1875 by Finnish emigrants, and by the 1890s it was a thriving logging settlement with steamboat landing, post office, stores, and a school. 


​Deep River was built on pilings because of the Columbia River tides, which came in twice a day. The sidewalks and roads were constructed of planks that were elevated at least six feet above high water. In 1917, Deep River had two stores, the Shamrock Hotel, a coffee shop, a community hall, a school, Pentti’s Westend Pool Hall, daily boat service to Astoria, a logging railroad, and the Deep River Holy Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. The Appelo store pictured above was demolished in 2016.






 




Deep River

google.com, pub-1997867597135706, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0