Cascade station originally called Tunnel City was located at the east portal of the Old Cascade tunnel, that connected to the Wellington side of the tunnel.
Cascade Station served as a station for electric locomotive helpers to move trains in and out of the tunnel. The Cascade tunnel created an unforeseen problem for locomotives passing through the tunnel. The tunnel was constructed so that prevailing wind of the pass would blow through the tunnel clearing the tunnel of smoke and heat from steam locomotives.
However if the wind was coming from a different direction or happened to be light, the smoke and heat could prove fatal to engine crews and passengers. In 1909 the railroad added
Site Visited 2011
Cascade Staion Depot
Locomotive servicing area
East portal of old Cascade tunnel