Around 1890,Captain James Saint Andrews and his wife, Lucy A. Andrews, started a post office in their farmhouse. Lucy became the postmaster for the families in the area. Captain Andrews was a Civil War veteran, and Douglas County’s 2nd prosecuting attorney.
It was the wish of James Andrews for the post office to be called “Andrews,“ but for reasons unbeknownst, the name became “Saint Andrews.” James Andrews died the following summer, but the name Saint Andrews stuck.
With the coming of the Great Northern Railroad in 1909, the Saint Andrews area flourished.
At one time, Saint Andrews boasted a hotel, general store, livery stable, meat market and a blacksmith.
The Saint Andrews area survived for a number of years, but like many communities in the area, the loss of income due to major roads bypassing the town ultimately lead to its demise.
The Saint Andrews cemetery was established in 1891 with the burial of James Andrews.
Abandoned homesteads throughout the Saint Andrews area.