Former site of the Roslyn Number 3 Coal Mine.
When the No. 3 mine was open in the late 1880s the town of Ronald, two miles west of Roslyn, was built on company land. It was named in honor of Alexander Ronald, Superintendent of the Northwestern Improvement Company mines.
In the summer of 1888 labor tensions between management and miners in the Roslyn mines peaked. Labor union workers who were looking for higher wages were laid off by management of the mine. The layoffs set off a labor strike by the Knights of Labor which shut down mining operations.
The Northwest Coal Company, which conducted mining operations at Mine No. 3, a few miles away in nearby Ronald organized more than 300 black strikebreakers in Virginia, North Carolina, and Kentucky and transported them via special train across the U.S. to Roslyn.
The Northwest Coal Company employed forty-eight armed guards who escorted the first group of strikebreakers to arrive in Roslyn. The employment of armed guards raised the interest of Governor Eugene Semple, who was concerned to have a large private militia operating within Washington territory.
Source: NWI Co. 1956 map buildings, streams, elevations, mine workings.