The Peshastin Mining District (Blewett) was formed in 1860 with the discovery of placer gold on Peshastin and Ingalls Creeks by a small group of miners on their way to the Okanogan Mining Districts. In 1874 John Shafer discovered a vein a vein near the Culver Gulch and became known as the Culver Claim. Mining Pioneers Samuel Culver, James Lockwood, Peter Wilder, and John Olden located most of the historic claims in the Blewett area. Blewett was connected to Cle Elum by trail until 1879 when a wagon road was built. Several arrastras were built for treating the ores. One of which remains today.
In 1891 a ten stamp mill was constructed by the Culver Mining Company, who sold it the following year to the Blewett Mining Company. The Blewett Mining Company then sold the ten stamp mill to Thomas Johnson. Shortly before this sale, in 1892 the Blewett Mining Company erected the twenty stamp mill. The ruins of this mill still stand today. The properties changed owners several times over the next few years. Rich bodies of ores were encountered making Blewett a very active mining district. Some of the most productive and historic mines in the district were the Black Jack, Pole Pick, Meteor, Peshastin, Bob Tail, Hummingbird, and Tip Top claims. Several of these mines are still in operation today.
The mines pictured on this page are a compilation of five mines in the Blewett/Peshastin District.
Source: Geology and Ore Deposits of the Blewett Mining District Washington Geological Survey Bulletin No. 6 Charles E. Weaver 1911