The former powerhouse for Copper Belle Mining Company located in the Index Mining District. The powerhouse used a 10 foot, undershot pelton wheel. The wheel was used to drive an Ingresol-Sargeant air compressor. At one time there was a smaller pelton wheel located at the site. The disposition of this wheel is a mystery. The compressed air generated by the wheel was used to power the mine drills. Electrical power was used to run the concentrator by the 90 horsepower dynamo.
The wheel was manufactured by the Sumner Iron Works Co. of Everett, Wa.
Mine records mention the wheel as early as 1906.
The Pelton wheel is an impulse turbine which is among the most efficient types of water turbines. It was invented by Lester Allan Pelton in the 1870s. The Pelton wheel extracts energy from the impulse (momentum) of moving water, as opposed to its weight like traditional overshot water wheel. Pelton's paddle geometry was designed so that when the rim runs at ½ the speed of the water jet, the water leaves the wheel with very little speed, extracting almost all of its energy, and allowing for a very efficient turbine.