The Montana Mine was first discovered by William Looney in 1912. In 1915 the mine was operated by 12 men.
The Montana Mill was built on a forty-five degree slope at an eleveation of 4,300 feet near Mazama in Okanogan County. As with many mills of this era gravity was utilized to move the ore down the mill, thus the slope construction. The mine is located in a very remote location. According to mining records of the state, the mine produced mainly copper, silver, and gold ore.
Assays for this mine showed to be 0.26 ounces of gold and 1.70 ounces of silver per ton.
The mine is believed to have been abandoned sometime in 1946.
Today the bunkhouse and stamp mill remain including the 4 Nissen stamps and a small jaw crusher. The lower adit is now collapsed the upper adit is inundated with up to 3 feet of water.
Inventory of Washington Minerals Bulletin 37
Mashall T. Huntting 1956
7x9 ore cast iron jaw crusher, weighing approximately 3200 pounds.
Patent dates located on the Nissen stamp crushers dated from November 29, 1904. The Nissen stamps were made by the Fairbanks, Morse & Co. of Chicago. The company trademark still is used today, although the original company was merged in 1958.