Access to the historic lime kiln is via part of the old Everett–Monte Cristo Railroad. The railway was built in 1892–93 to serve the gold, silver and copper mines, which was abandoned in 1933. The rock-and-mortar limekiln was built sometime between the late 1890’s and 1900 to produce anhydrous lime, used as a whitening agent at the Lowell paper mill and as a flux agent at the smelter in Everett.
The interior of the kiln was firebrick and its exterior made of local stone. The kiln is about thirty or more feet high. When it operated, apparently sometime between the 1890s and 1936, limestone from nearby quarries was loaded though the top from small cable cars, then heated. The kiln could take in 100 tons of limestone and produce up to 60 tons of powdered lime a day, according to historical accounts.
Still very little is known about those who constructed the kiln, lived and worked here.
As with many sites a lot of the artifacts have disappeared over the years since the trail opened in 2004.