The Justice Mine is located in the Monte Cristo Mining District. The Justice and Mystery mines accounted for about 90 percent of the Monte Cristo district’s total production. The Justice was founded by the Wilmans brothers. The primary metals sought were gold, silver and lead. John D. Rockefeller bought a majority interest in the mines around 1891. Production reached its peak in 1897. In 1896 and 1897 washouts caused a tremendous amount of damage to the railroad from Monte Cristo to Everett. This was a considerable expenditure to repair. In 1903 Rockefeller sold his holdings in the mines.
Massive aerial tramways freespanned Glacier Basin in order to move the ore to the mills. The last serious attempts at mining in the area took place in 1915. The Justice portal is located at an elevation of 3600 feet at the foot of a vertical cliff 800 feet above Glacier Basin trail. The Justice portal is six feet wide by seven feet tall. Three adit levels consisted of about 2,200 feet. The mine produced about 3 ounces of gold per ton.
This mine is scheduled for remediation and closure of portal in 2013/14
INACTIVE AND ABANDONEDMINE LANDS—Mystery and Justice Mines,
by Fritz E. Wolff,Donald T. McKay, Jr.,and David K. Norman
RESOURCESOpen File Report 2003-7