Gnome Mine Site 1932-1937 

Site visit 2010





 
     

Ghost Towns of Washington visited Idaho October 2010.


Gnome mining camp. The Gnome Mine produced between 10,000 and 50,000 tons of ore from 1932-1937.  The mine consisted of underground workings, and a 25-ton per day mill that used cyanide to process the ore. 

 

  

          

 

 

Orograne Hotel staircase



 

 
 
Mill remains - boiler and ore bin in tact 


Be sure to check back for additional listings 

  ghost.wa@comcast.net

  
Buffalo Hump District Mine


Three miles up from Old Orogrande we came across a mill and mine camp.  After hiking up the tailings we found the lode mine.  We could not pinpoint exactly which mine it was. 

It was posssibly the Diamond Hitch or Twin Butte mine.
ghost town (noun): a once-flourishing town wholly or nearly deserted usually as a result of the failure of some economic activity. 
 
Gnome mining camp.
     
            
 
Orogrande Hotel 
 
Mine entrance at the top of the tailing hill 
The name Orogrande is spanish for "coarse gold".  The first businesses were started in Orogrande by James Colgrove who opened the Colgrove Hotel in 1899.  It catered to all the needs of miners travelling to and from Buffalo Hump.

Colgrove also established a post office and a store.  Orogrande was described as an "oasis for trade" supplying mines and miners during the Buffalo Hump boom.
 
Looking up the mine tailings 
 
Mine tunnel
 
Diamond Hitch Mine Orogrande

Looking at the back of the mill from the top of the hill. 
 
 

There are numerous cabins and structures around the mine.  

 

Old Orogrande Site 1899-1930

Site visit 2010       
 
 
Your Subtitle text

Idaho Mining Camps


                                               

Website Builder