Hyde Coal Mine Cumberland, Wa
Originally known as the Rose-Marshall mine, this operation lasted from about 1908 to 1920. The coal mine was started by R.H. Rose of
Be sure to check back for additional listings
Old shaker screen
When a coal car was pulled out of the mine, it was typically hoisted up to the top of a wooden tipple structure where the coal was unloaded into a chute for processing. Using simple gravity, the coal would usually travel down across some kind of screening device to seperate the larger chunks of coal from the finer sized coal. Eventually the larger chunks usually called "nut" or "lump" coal would end up on a "picking table" where impurities such as rock or sandstone were thrown away.
Shown right is a March 1914 photo of the picking table of the Hyde Coal Company.
A view of the top of the hoist foundation.