The Franklin No. 7 mine was opened by the Pacific Coast Coal Company in 1893. A slope was sunk 240 feet the first year. In 1894 the mine was closed temporarily for repairs. From 1895 until the mine was closed in 1907, it continued to produce coal.
The mine slope was sunk southward on the southern dip of the McKay bed, where the dip varied from 20 to 40 degrees. The gangways turned south in this mine in order to the strike of the beds in the old Franklin mine.
A total of eight levels were sunk in the No. 7. The coal was hoisted up the main slope of the mine and dumped into the bunker which was located on the No. 12 spur of the Columbia and Puget Sound railroad. The spur was removed after the abandonment of the mine.
Source: Coal fields of King County 1912.
Special thanks to Don Mason of the Black Diamond Historical Society for sharing this site with us.
**Coal mines if accessible should NEVER be entered.