Elberton is located in Southeastern Washington in a region known as the Palouse. Elberton sat in a valley at the confluence of the north fork of the Palouse River and Silver Creek. In the 1870's a water powered sawmill was built by Giles D. Wilbur due to the abundance of timber. During the 1880's the Oregon Railway and Navigation Co. built a rail line through the valley. The town was platted in 1886 by Sylvester M. Wait and named for his son Elbert.
Two years later in 1888 the town had began to flourish with a flourmill, post office, black smith shop, two general stores, grain warehouses, and a church. The town continued to grow through the 1890's. Fruit tree's were planted as a major crop. By 1900 Elberton had a population of over 400.
A picnic was held annually from June 1893 to 1924 which commemorated the towns founding. In the early 1900's the sawmill moved to Idaho due to lack of timber. A devastating fire in 1908 and flood in 1910 set Elberton on a decline it would soon succumb to. With the arrival of the Great Depression and competition from other towns, most people began packing up and leaving homes behind.
Today the only remaining landmarks at Elberton is the fully intact United Brethern Church Elberton cemetery, railroad trestle. The occasional foundations, perennial gardens, orchard trees can also be found. Elberton was formally dis-incorporated in 1966.
Main Street Elberton
The abandoned fully intact United Brethern Church in Elberton.