The town is named after Frank H. Benge, who represented Adams County in the State Legislature in 1904. Benge and his wife donated the land upon which the town site was platted on May 13, 1907.
The town was essentially started by the SP&S Railroad. Benge is named for Frank Benge. The land for the town was donated by Frank Benge in 1906.
The railroad was built through Benge's homestead. Benge was paid for his house and a new one was built by the railroad.
In 1911 Benge had two general stores, a bank, drug store, lumber yard, and billard hall.
With the passing of the railroad and industry Benge became what it is today.