Alder Mine 1909-1953 

site visit 2012

 
The Alder Mine is located in Sections 25, 26, 35, and 36 T33N, R21E of the USGS Minute Series map of Twisp West, the main workings at an elevation of 3,400 feet in the Methow Valley area of Okanogan County. 

The first discoveries of gold in the Alder Creek area were in the late 1800's.  In 1910 less than 400 feet of workings had been completed showing a promising return of $16 to the ton of gold. 

World War I arrived halting the extraction of all metals except those necessary for strategic purposes.  By 1928 the Alder mine consisted of four levels.  From  1939 to 1942 the mine produced $400,000 and had 30 employees under the management of the Methow Gold Corporation.   

In 1953 the price of Zinc dropped essentially shutting down the mine.  The recorded production for mine was 86,634 tons of ore of which 15,148 ounces of gold was extracted, 19,054 ounces of silver, 1,296,953 pounds of copper, 38, 489 pounds of lead, and 648,130 pounds of zinc.

The ore of the Alder mine was processed at a mill located near Twisp.  In 2003 the mill building was demolished as part of a site remediation/clean up.

Source: Inventory of Washington Minerals -- Part II Metallic Minerals, Huntting, Marshall T., Washington Division of Mines and Geology Bulletin No. 37, Volume 1 -1956

Metal Mines of Washington -- Preliminary Report, OFR 90-18, Derkey, Joseph, & Lasmanis, 1990


Looking back up the incline tunnel.

 

            


Be sure to check back for additional listings 

  ghost.wa@comcast.net

   

 


Collapsed level 3 adit.

Open pit of the mine.
Intersection of level 2 raise with pit floor.
 

Ruins of the ore bunker site.

 

Large stoped out area.

An Important Reminder:  We strongly recommend you stay out of abandoned mines altogether unless accompanied by a guide familiar with the mine, safety and its structural condition.  

 

Looking into the open pit of the mine from above.
 
 
Your Subtitle text

Okanogan County Mines


Website Builder